Monday, July 20, 2009

But It Makes Me Happy







Three summers ago when I went to Cannon Beach with my dad and nephew, I took my DSLR and my Holga. I shot about 50 digital images, but only one lonely roll with my Holga. Last fall I returned with my friend Wendy, and shot mostly Polaroid, a few DSLR images, and a roll through my SuperSampler. This past June, I went back with my dad and nephew, and good Lord, you'd think I'd never been there before. I purposely left my DSLR in the closet at home, but took my Polaroid SLR 680 and made 34 photos, and my Polaroid 104 and made 17 photos. I also shot three rolls through my Banner, and two rolls through my Duaflex, and I'm STILL not finished posting them on Flickr. I have this thing where I can't post images out of order. I have to post them in the order that I shot them. I guess my blog is different because two posts below, all those photos were made a couple weeks after Oregon. Oh well. But on Flickr, I have to keep them in order. It's a weird freakish thing but it makes me happy.

That being said, I now have a massive backlog of images to post because I've been shooting like mad this summer. I really don't think I've ever shot this much, ever. I guess that's a good thing. I mean, I've had the film sitting in my fridge for how long?! Some of my 120 film expired three years ago, and I bought it a good year before its expiration date. I don't exactly feel comfortable with my current Polaroid stash, but it's still pretty sizable. The way I measure is if I can get into one of my crisper drawers, and yes, I can stick my whole hand in there. I'll have to look into another buying frenzy soon. Anyway, point of my story is that I'll be posting summer photos long into fall, I think. This backlog has forced me to stop shooting everyday little things like the zucchini bread we baked last weekend; our first garden that's about to burst with ears of sweet corn and warm, sun-baked zucchini; my lavender, hyssop, and rosemary plants that are growing so well in their terra cotta planters; our outdoor movie nights with friends and neighbors; and last but not least, simple little things I've noticed around the house and yard, the neighborhood, and my town. It's a span of time that will have to be carried by our memories rather than Polaroids. I'll get back in the swing of things soon, I hope.

1 comment:

Heather Tullis Photography said...

Yea for film. I say keep shooting anyways. You'll enjoy them wheather or not you get to them right away. These shots are beautiful btw!