Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Echo

Back in February or March, I was told (commanded, really) to go up to the tiny town of Echo, Utah to take a picture of the Kozy Cafe (and I hope I spelled it right), with its billboard promising "Free coffee w/CDL." Yup, it's nothing less than an honest to goodness truck stop. A coworker of mine used to be a waitress there years ago but she still talks about the place like she just got off the night shift an hour ago.

Echo is an interesting little place, strong emphasis on little. It's miniscule. There's the Kozy, this vacant gas/service station and motel, a decrepit church, a few houses and a few more mobile homes. I never actually got a photo of the Kozy, and the only shot I made was this accidental double exposure. The place creeped me out and because I was clearly not "local" (I pulled up in a Subaru instead of a 4-wheeler and whipped out a camera), I wanted to get out of there fast. The gun racks I saw were fully equiped. At any rate, I got the roll devved way back at the first of the year, saw the double exposure, hated it and didn't give it a second thought... until now, and now I love it and thought I'd share it. I used my Holga and Fuji Acros 100.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is a great shot(s) good stuff...

Steph Parke said...

Thanks, Tread. You bolstered my ego yet again.

Anonymous said...

Wow--I recognized that photo right away. That seems so odd to me because of what a small town Echo is (and I don't live anywhere near the area).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23929334@N00/52833083/

Thought I'd share--great photo!