Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Film Swap














After weeks and weeks of giddy shutter-clicking, hordes of e-mails, a handful of Google searches, and excitement we could barely contain, Vanessa and I are so happy to announce our new project, Doubles: An Experiment in Film Swapping. Until we began, I had only ever shot one accidental double exposure in my 10-ish years as a photog. Double exposures were never on my to-do list, nor did I think I liked them that much, until during one night of sleeplessness, I thought it would be interesting to swap rolls with a friend, so I e-mailed Vanessa the next morning and we had fresh rolls of film loaded in our cameras within days. I'm not sure exactly what spurred the idea, but I'm in love with it. I love trying to wrap my mind around composing an image that will be "sharing" a frame with another composition, and one that's completely unknown at that. It's challenging and exciting and weird and fun, all rolled into one.

Close to 80 double exposures are up on our blog right now, with many more to come. We've both got new rolls in the works, so please come back and visit us again!

8 comments:

abby neal said...

oh my! Steph these are gorgeous!! I love the idea, and can't wait to see more of the project. I've never really shot doubles in color before, but am thoroughly inspired to give it a whirl, maybe with a photo buddy of mine as well.

Heather Tullis Photography said...

Those turned out rad! Lets go shooting! (cameras, not guns)

isabelle said...

wow!! i love these so much.

Anonymous said...

These are all so gorgeous Steph! I can't wait to see more! :D

gravitytrope said...

lovely!*

Anonymous said...

I like them a lot.
(Perhaps) a stupid question: who do make doubles in practice?
What to do after shooting the first time?
(I'm most of all thinking about how to load the film again to be sure everything will go ok....)

Steph Parke said...

Thanks for the nice comments, friends!

@Anonymous: After you shoot the roll the first time, roll it back up and take it out of your camera. You'll need a film leader retriever (available for about $10 on eBay) to pull out the leader. Once you've got that out, load it into your camera and shoot it all again. Easy as that! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much, I just bought a retriever;-)