Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Ill-Fated


Back in July of last year, I began a project I called 365-ish and on January 1, I quit. I gave up. Many photographers/Flickrites begin and successfully complete 365-day or 52-week projects where they shoot a photo every day or once a week depending on their project, and after about three years of watching others do it, I finally thought I should give it a try. At the time, I was out shooting for work nearly every day, so it was easy at first and kind of fun to show a bit of my ever-changing work environment, but after about a month it became more of a chore and suddenly I felt like it was making me a lazy photographer with a photostream full with iPhone photos. (Not that that's a bad thing, it's just not my thing.) So here I am, raising my official white flag of surrender, and posting a few of my favorites from the ill-fated half-assed project. It was (sort of) fun while it lasted.

2 comments:

Mattj said...

Thanks for sharing. I've seen the multitudes of these projects out there and pondered doing my own. In the end, for me, reason dictates a projects significance and worth, and I just can't think of a good reason that would necessitate shooting something like this, personally. I've felt that I would just fall into capturing "stuff" just because I had to in order to keep the project moving...

Steph Parke said...

Hi Matthew,

Thanks so much for your comment. I felt the same way when I started seeing numerous 365 projects popping up years ago. I thought they seemed like fun and a good way to be sure to shoot something daily, but never quite felt right about starting my own. Then something clicked for me last summer and I found myself beginning one, but quickly the "This is fun!" feeling turned to "This is a chore!". You hit the nail on the head with your "capturing 'stuff'" comment. That's exactly what it ended up as for me, and I happily put it to rest.

Cheers!