Wednesday, January 23, 2013

I'm a Forgetful Photographer


So Vanessa and I have been collaborating over on Doubles for a couple years now. We each shoot a roll of 35mm film in our own camera, then swap, and I shoot her roll and she shoots mine. Simple enough, right? Well, sort of.

There are a few tricky elements we've had to figure out over time, but nothing a few rolls of experience didn't teach us. The most important thing, however, is the one I always seem to forget: adjusting to the appropriate ISO. If we are shooting an ISO 400 roll, we have to shoot at 800. If we're shooting an ISO 50 roll, we have to shoot at 100. This is where I went wrong in the past. (I have since made a note and stuck it to my camera when I've got a Doubles roll inside.) I would adjust my camera to 200 for an ISO 400 roll, and so on. I was allowing twice as much light to hit the film than was necessary, and when you're shooting double exposures, you've got to be extra careful because the film is being exposed twice.

These images are among 27 that didn't work, thanks to my forgetfulness. They are from three or four different rolls, so it's not like I'm a fast learner. But I like these images, and thought I'd share, even though they didn't turn out as I intended.







1 comment:

Ashley Moore said...

Thanks for the tip for double exposures! I've wanted to try it for a while but wasn't sure how to go about it, now I know! Thanks!