Tuesday, March 11, 2014
My instructor's sentiments stuck with me though, and it took almost 10 years before I shot anything vertically. I shot a roll of 35 last summer and forced myself to think up-and-down, instead of left-to-right. I could feel my instructor rolling her eyes at me. But I did it, and I sort of liked it. I really love the idea of shooting two vertical images and pairing them as a diptych, a la my most favorite photos ever of Heather Howard's (but let's be honest... everything she does is amazing), and when I have more time to shoot this summer, I'm going to give it a try. I don't think in pairs, so it'll be a fun challenge.
1. The Subversive Charm of Day Drinking - It's from 2012, but was a fun little read. Bonus points for the playlist at the end.
2. The Salt and Pepper Diner - Anything John Mulaney, but especially this.
3. Urban Farming Magazine - Hooray for a new subscription! Can't wait to get my first copy.
4. Egg Quesadillas w/Poblano Corn Relish - These are going on my table tomorrow. Fo sho.
5. Which classic rock band are you? - Led Zeppelin. Rightfully so.
6. Barack, Between Two Ferns - So much of me wants Zach Galifianakis to be like this in real life.
7. Want, want, want x4 - I love Klean Kanteen!
8. Tour de Coffee - There should be a tour for the entire Oregon Coast. Just saying.
9. Crunchy Quinoa Granola - Getting a batch in the oven this afternoon.
10. The Doubles Project - You need some new art on your walls.
Monday, March 03, 2014
Every fiber of my being is consumed... by thoughts of the months ahead, of road trips, sand, and fog, of relationships new and old, of gardening and sunshine, of music and photography, and projects galore. I have been so consumed I forgot it was my blog's anniversary. February 2005 to February 2014. Nine years last week. So much has happened in that time. So much growing, loving, and learning. So many photos and snippets of my life shared with the world. I can only hope the next nine years are as beautiful as these past nine have been.
I haven't been much of a blogger lately, and in the olden days, I'd make an effort to try to correct that, but it's just not my thing anymore. Maybe it's temporary. Maybe not. Life is just too busy. I love the idea of posting often and being more involved, but I can't promise to make it a reality. It doesn't help that I haven't picked up a camera in months. Really. September was the last time I shot anything, besides iPhone photos I post over on Instagram. I always have a lull this time of year, but this time it's different. My whole world has sort of been shaken up, in a good way, and sometimes I think about phasing photography out of it and the thought doesn't entirely bother me. Maybe I'm just getting older, or more conscientious of where I spend my money. Or maybe I'm just shifting my focus onto other things. My fridge is still full of (now expired) film though, and my closet is full of cameras, so it's not like I'm closing up shop any time soon.
But since I'm here, why not make an honest-to-goodness blog post? I began reading bits of Shutterbean over the weekend, where Tracy shares lists of things she loves. And we all know about Andrea's penchant for lists... So, instead of posting a bunch of photos (because as a photo editor, the last thing I feel like doing is editing my own photos), here's a list of things I'm loving these days...
1. The best/weirdest-looking espresso maker ever.
2. Long email conversations with faraway friends.
3. This Tiny Desk Concert from 2010.
4. Dreaming up an epic road trip.
5. Chocolate, but not just any chocolate.
6. Anything and everything by Amy Hamilton.
7. This post about the anonymity of the internet.
8. Somehow I've fallen in love with New Girl.
9. Chocolate croissants and lattes.
10. We have gone through hundreds of these since Christmas already.
11. Karly's snow day.
12. A new recipe for soup.
13. These two and the ensuing laughter.
14. Croc-like but oh, so much better!
15. The trifecta: booze, espresso, ice cream.